BSG 2023 Euchre
Sport Captain remarks
Sport Captain is Marie Hewitt, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Condo Sports Captains
Condo 1 – Linda Weir, email email@example.com
Condo 2 – …………..
Condo 3 – …………..
Condo 4 – Pat Hartford, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Condo 5 – ………….
Rules for the Ballantrae Summer Games 2023 Euchre Tournament
Object of the Game
The goal is to win at least three tricks. If the team that fixed the Trump fails to get three tricks, it is said to be “euchred.”
The standard 52-card pack is stripped to make a deck of 24 cards (A, K, Q, J, 10, 9 of each suit).
Cards can be dealt face-up to each player until one receives a jack, designating them the first dealer. The dealer position moves clockwise with each new hand.
The cards are dealt clockwise, to the left, beginning with the player to the left of the dealer. Each player then 5 cards in a single deal and cards are dealt one at a time per player. On completing the deal, the dealer places the rest of the pack in the center of the table and turns the top card face-up.
Rank of Cards
There are 7 Trump Cards in a game, ranking highest to lowest as follows:
Right Bower: The Jack of the Trump suit
Left Bower: The Jack of the same colour as the Trump suit
Ace of the Trump suit
King of the Trump suit
Queen of the Trump suit
10 of the Trump suit
9 of the Trump suit
All other cards are ranked by their value, highest to lowest (A, K, Q, J, 10, 9).
Making the Trump
Trump is made by going round the table, starting with the player left of the dealer. Each player is given a chance to pass, or claim the face-up card as Trump. If the Dealer claims the face-up card as Trump, the Dealer picks up the face-up Trump card and discards (face-down) another card from their hand. Once a player makes Trump (doesn’t pass), the game begins.
If the dealer’s partner “orders it up” the dealer is not allowed to play, and the partner must “Go Alone”.
If all players pass in the first round, a second round begins where players can pass, or choose their own Trump suit. If, on the second round, no one names a Trump, then the dealer must call the Trump. This is known as “stick the dealer” if everyone passes and rotation comes back to the dealer. The original Trump that was turned down cannot be called.
Any player who makes Trump has the option to declare they’re “Going Alone” (except the dealer’s partner, who must go alone if they make Trump). If declared, this player’s partner must put down their hand. They cannot participate.
The opening lead is made by the player to the dealer’s left, or if this player’s partner is playing alone, it is made by the player across from the dealer. The leader may play any card they wish. Play revolves clockwise, and must follow the lead suit. If a player does not have a card of that suit, they may play any other card. A trick is won by the highest card of the suit led, or, if it contains Trumps, by the highest Trump. The winner of a trick leads next.
Team making Trump wins 3 or 4 tricks
Team making Trump wins 5 tricks
Lone hand wins 3 or 4 tricks
Lone hand wins 5 tricks
Team or lone hand is euchred
opponents score 2 points
Play continues for 8 hands, and the score for each team is recorded on their team card.
Tables will be assigned a number. Partners will stay together for the entire game. Winners will move up one numbered table. Losers remain at their table, and will remain partners.
In this tournament, seven rounds will be played (if possible). This is a team game with two teams of two people each at each table.
One person per table will be chosen by the players as scorekeeper for that round. The scorekeeper records the points on each team’s tally sheet which is then initialed by an opposing player at the end of the round. The tally sheet is handed in to the official scorekeeper at the end of the evening. There is only one tally sheet per team.
- Disputes are settled by the sports captain.
- Players must continue playing until the entire game is complete.
- There will be a time limit to keep up the pace of play. A bell will be rung when players are to advance. No one should leave their seat until the bell is rung.
- There must be no table talk relating to the game and chatting should be kept to a minimum. The normal penalty for inappropriate table talk is 1 point to the opponent, but one warning is allowed.
- Prolonged pauses when it’s a player’s turn to make Trump are unacceptable. Deliberately drawing out the decision to pass or order up your partner can indicate that they want their partner to pick it up but don’t want to go alone.
- If the dealer chooses to pick up the turned over card he/she must have at least 1 other Trump in his / her hand (the left bower does not count as the other Trump card).
- If a player has no face card, no ace and no Trump (after Trump has been determined), he/she can “fold” and the same dealer deals a new hand.
- If a misdeal occurs (e.g., a card dropped on the floor, an incorrect number of cards distributed) then the deal is re-dealt by the original dealer.
- If a player realizes (or is told) that he/she has reneged before that particular trick has been turned and quitted, the player can withdraw his/her card and follow suit as he/she wishes with no penalty. However, if a renege is discovered after the trick has been finished, two points are awarded to the opposing team, and no points can be awarded for that deal to the offending team.
Schedule = see BSG Calendar
Results = see below